Monday, October 18, 2010

What Wal-Mart Doesn't Have

I needed things last night. An assortment of items affiliated only by their eventual ownership by me. A wireless router. Some light bulbs. Bananas. I went to Wal-Mart because it was close and it was late and sometimes convenience wins.

But I really dislike Wal-Mart. I’m not talking about its business practices, I’m talking about their stores. They are unwelcoming. Soulless. They grab you by the back of the neck and shove your face into the fact that you are a consumer and every damn thing is a commodity. You like to eat? Tough. Wal-Mart doesn’t sell the joy of eating. They sell packaged foodstuffs. You like to look attractive? Wal-Mart doesn’t sell fashion, they sell body coverage items.

It’s all about the sell. Where what cog fits into what hole.

Sure, there are those who will say that’s what all stores do. And there are those who will blame the soul-sucking nature of capitalism in that weird, simplistic way people like to blame complex, inexact systems for the majority of our problems. But I believe that most of life is just people interacting with people. And while the fulfillment of basic needs is obviously essential, people don’t just connect through basic needs. We have passions and fears and desires and insecurities and we pursue those or try to mitigate those through human interaction.

Wal-Mart removes all of that upper-level stuff.

I mean, sure, they try to make their stores bright and clean, but they go to no effort to relate to their customers on anything more than a transactional level. Just because I am a person who needs to buy an item doesn’t mean I have to be reduced to a personality-less consumer. I go to a place like Target (which provides essentially the same items as Wal-Mart) and I feel that there’s someone human behind the store – someone who has taken a few minutes to consider what I might want, not just what I might need.

I could go on, more examples and all of that. But I’m going to end up talking in circles. My point isn’t to throw Wal-Mart onto the pyre, it’s to note how alienating their business-model is and how that alienation is becoming such a defining feature of our society. I don’t much go in for the overheated cries that our civilization is failing, but I take notice of all these ways we’re removing ourselves not just from each other but from our own personalities, our own identities.

I mean, we talk about what the great literary/artistic themes of this period are and will be and I keep coming back to this notion of alienation. Not the lost generation stuff of nearly a century ago, but a far stranger alienation, one that can only be broken through with increasingly bold leaps of faith (in love or God or just in the very notion of truth).

I read a lot of these writers publishing on-line (Roxane Gay and Ethel Rohan and Matt Bell and Amber Sparks and all the others I've referenced on this blog) and I read others like Edward P. Jones and someone like the late David Markson (whose Wittgenstein’s Mistress was about 20 years ahead of its time) and I see all these characters hoping and dreaming for these connections that might not even exist or are only found at great costs, and I think, my God, this is what’s happening. This rebellion against alienation. Taking to the barricades. Maybe in failure but always in passion. The return of sentimentalism not as some saccharine or moralistic device but as a real attempt to forge connection, one person to the next, through this bizarre period where a trip to buy a router and bananas can make you feel as if your very identity has been bludgeoned.

I overstate. Or oversimplify. But maybe the point is in there.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how the routine and mundane can touch us at such deep levels. I get that same empty feeling, almost anxiety, inside the enormous aisles in Costco. I think we're way ahead, though, of those who shop in these places and aren't aware of how dehumanized the experience is. I write to see, to encourage others to see. Don't we all. Thanks for the mention, for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ding! That's exactly what's going on, neo-sentimentalism. Not sappy, just earnest and open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing and then I'll get off this post and let others at the mic, but I literally read this right after your post and the synchronicity was simply too much for me not to cycle back and mention.

    http://www.dictionaryofobscuresorrows.com/post/1342476553/faze-out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late in the reply here ... blogger has decided to stop notifying me of comments.

    Ethel: Costco is another of these beasts. Shoppign at these places bothers me, I can only imagine what happens to those who work there.

    Tres: Faze-out ... nice. Ever since we did that interview thing, I've been really thinking about the places from which these modern fictions are coming. There's just no way that this modern world (with it's Wal-Marts and internets and all of that) isn't dramatically affecting our art. The fascinating part is trying to see what trends are present in the great diversity of writing out there.

    ReplyDelete