Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The People of Paper

I was in Austin today and stopped by Book People and saw on their recommended table The People of Paper by Salvador Plascencia and I thought to myself: I don’t push that book hard enough on my friends and acquaintances.

The novel is brilliant. It’s experimental and deeply moving and lyrical and brain twisting and it does about fifty things I normally dislike in fiction and yet I can’t forget the book. It arrives in my head quite often and makes a mess of things.

You should read it.

4 comments:

  1. You do push it, though. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On you, yes. But I can only afford to give out so many copies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now I've officially been guilted into reading it. Caveat: I'm determined to finish "Infinite Jest" before I pick up another book (infinite: seemingly; jest: remains to be seen). So even though it's next up, I may never actually read it. And thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll look into it. I saw it on a bookstore shelf a while back, but didn't buy it that day.

    ReplyDelete