Friday, March 12, 2010

Just a Thought ...

If you were an editor of a journal and got a sub-par story from a well-known writer, would you publish it?

This is not a problem over at Splinter, btw. I just sometimes see "name" writers (whatever that means for that journal) publish just okay stories from familiar names. I wonder about the decision-making process. It's not like most journals are making money or are reaching outside the literary culture. I mean, I'd rather read a brilliant story by someone I've never heard of than read a familiar story from someone I recognize. So what's the incentive for accepting a known writer's just okay story? Did they solicit that story and feel obligated? Do they approach the story with the intent to accept when they approach other stories with less bias?

I just wonder.

On a side note, why do well-published authors often win Narrative contests? Do those writers really enter online journal contests with $20 entry fees? Or are the rumors true -- Narrative is part journal, part scam to direct money towards friends of the editors? I'm not saying that's the case, but it's hard to find another journal where the contest winners are so well published.

3 comments:

  1. This post and following comments are definitely worth reading if you're curious about Narrative:

    http://www.robertswartwood.com/rants/reminder-money-flows-to-the-writer/

    They have their fair share of people claiming they're a scam. And I tend to agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I mean, I'd rather read a brilliant story by someone I've never heard of than read a familiar story from someone I recognize."

    (nodding)

    Good post, all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link, Jason. They do seem rather sketchy in the way they conduct their business.

    Glad you liked the sentiments, David.

    ReplyDelete