Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What's In a Submission?

Over at HTMLGiant, Blake Butler wants to know if writers would submit to a journal called: joesdickshed.blogspot.com. While many of the people commenting are just having fun with the idea, I think Blake is touching on a really interesting question: why do we choose to submit where we do? What factors do we consider?

I don’t use a very complicated formula. It’s pretty much: 1) do I like what the journal is publishing? 2) do I have a story that fits their aesthetic? 3) will the journal give the story good exposure (a good number of good readers and a good chance the publication will still be around a week after my story appears)?

So, sure, I’d submit to joesdickshed.blogspot.com if they met those criteria. But, um, you first Blake.

No comments:

Post a Comment