Monday, November 30, 2009

A Fanboy Moment

Is it wrong for a writer’s blog to post about football? And is it extra-special wrong if that posting has no merit outside of fanboy blathering? Should I not leave such fanboyishness to the sports bloggers?

I think not. And here’s why: In the last six months, I’ve winnowed. One by one, I’ve dropped the distractions in my life, pulling everything inwards so that my entire attention is focused exclusively on my family, my closest friends and my writing. Except I can’t slice off every extraneous bit. There has to be something dangling free. And that thing is the Dallas Cowboys.

Why is this important today? Because it’s minutes from December. And while the rest of the world gears up for the holidays and parties and too many sweets, I’m bracing for the dreaded December Slump. Like the first cold snap of the year. Like mall Santa’s with fake beards. You know it’s coming and there’s no good way to avoid it. The team is 8-3 now. A 9-7 finish is not unfathomable. In fact, I can easily fathom it. If only I knew how to prevent it. If only the team knew how to prevent it.

Here’s my strategy: don’t be Charlie Brown trying to kick the ball. I’ll get excited if we’re still playing come mid January. Until then, Lucy can just hold that ball. I’ll watch but I got better things to do than get worked up. Because, hey, nothing says you’re indifferent quite like a late-night blog post.

2 comments:

  1. Alan,

    As an ND fan that just suffered through an "0 for November", I can sympathize with the late-season swoon. Luckily, the 'Boys seem to be playing in one of the weaker NFC's in recent memory. Hopefully, they'll traverse successfully.

    I was put onto your blog via Dave Erlewine and just wanted to let you know what i've read so far has been outstanding. keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brendan -- I know a lot of frustrated ND fans. I guess suffering through losing seasons makes winning seasons sweeter. But that doesn't make losing any more fun.

    And thanks for the kind words about my work. Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete